Coffee is a fascinating subject, especially for those of us that just can’t imagine life without it. We suggest you whip out the following facts, factoids and miscellaneous coffee trivia on your next date or at a cocktail party to see if your audience is as coffee-crazy as you.
- The coffee nickname “Java” came about because n 1650 Dutch traders carried coffee seeds to Java, where coffee subsequently flourished.
- All of the world’s coffee is grown within 1000 miles of the Earth's equator between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.
- Brazil is the world's largest producer, growing approximately 35% of the world's coffee.
- Coffee trees produce their 1st full crop when at approximately 5 years old, and continue to produce for 15 to 20 years.
- It 4,000 beans to make 1 pound of roasted coffee; 1 pound of ground beans makes 50 cups of coffee.